Monday, June 28, 2010

I Like Lemons


Sunny yellow lemons are a delight to paint; in fact I don't know if there is a realist painters out there that has not , at one time or another, used them in a still life...The cheery primary color is irresistible- in fact even when I see them piled up in the grocery store, I linger, and enjoy the color.
This painting, "Siracusa Lemons"is a slightly different take on the subject. This small grove is in an ancient quarry , in Sicily.
It was delightful to see them on the tree.
Now that it's summer, and I do like to cook,I like to go for dishes that are minimal fuss, can be made and chilled ahead, and use the wonderful things that are now available. A lot of summer dishes call out for lemon. Here's one I use for green beans: ( I'm not a chef by any means, so things are approximate.)
It will serve two.
Two serving of fresh green beans, washed, and trimmed
Juice and zest of one lemon.
About 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.
One clove garlic, finely minced ( if desired)
A tablespoon of provencal herbs.
A sprinkling of salt, pepper, to taste.
Cook the beans until just tender, and still retain color.
Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. add to this the garlic, herbs, and salt, pepper.
Place beans in bowl, cover with mixture, and chill.
I like to take this out of the 'frig a bit before serving- flavors are fuller at room temp.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous painting! The color!
    I am a produce-section-of-the-store-lingerer.

    ReplyDelete